Way back in '89 I called upon a bunch of my college friends to get together and make the most awesome public access show San Antonio has ever seen. 2 dudes showed up. But we did it. And this Blog looks back at the skits we loved to make so much.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Some Backstory

Before we get started posting clips let's do a little backstory on The Doppel Gang.

It started long, long ago. At a college far, far away.

Well, actually it was in San Antonio back around '88. I was in the Radio Television and Film classes where I met a few students that were very talanted and had some vision.

It struck me one night, when I was flipping through channels and discovered the realm that was San Antonio public access- that I could assemble these students and do a show that was as good or better than "The Hondo Show" or "The Worst Show" which were staple programs of the time.

So I called a meeting that was to go down at a Jim's resturaunt near the school.

The only person that showed up was David and he brought his brother, Robert, who I had never met but had seen in "Bob the Super-Hero", one of Dave's class projects, in which Rob had the starring role.

Undaunted, we began to speak about funny ideas we had and how they could be shot. I don't remember all the bits we had on our minds at the time but I know we discussed the premise for "True Stories", doing a "Bob the Super-Hero" series of skits and a character named "Goose" who gave cheap handy-man tips to save some "Beer Money". I also distinctly remember Dave telling me how funny he thought it would be if we could do a talk show with Larry Holmes as the host and call it "Breakfast with Larry".

I laughed my ass off that night.

So we did it.

We shot enough material to make 3 episodes and Dave and I cobbled them together (mostly Dave) and put them up on Public Access where they ran eternally.

One day the GM at Fox 35 asked us if we wanted to host their Saturday night movies called "The Saturday Night Shocker"- to which we agreed, as long as we could do skits and not have to talk about the movie all the time.

We did that for a while- and stopped when it got to be too much to try to keep our jobs or do these skits for free (Rob was the only one to ever be paid for his time on the Doppel Gang- Dave and I gave our share of the money the station paid us to him because we had jobs and he was going to school- it was barely enough money for him to buy lunch on a regular basis- so Dave and I weren't sacrificing much).

It was decided that we would collect the skits we shot for Fox and uncensor them so they could air on public access as episodes 4, 5 and 6. It took us a while to do the music videos for the shows but when they were done the shows went up and we washed our hands of the Doppel Gang...

'til now.

So with no further ado- The posts will begin.

We hope you enjoy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Fatguy said...

Still just as funny as ever!

5:54 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I just found this blog as i was remenscing with a coworker here at time warner cable san antonio. Great stuff, please add more episodes if you can, especially the mike cano one, that was hilarious. Also the one i think it was professor lillywhite or something, that one was funny. Take it easy

3:49 AM

 
Blogger texascherrysweet said...

My bro came over your vid and I almost peed myself!! I love you guys!! I have ur vids still and the response letter yall sent me!! Aww! I was 12 and was a huge fan!! Still am!! Teehee! Go out there and get me a coke boy! Go out there and get me a coke..BOY??! SOCIAL ACTION!! Ha! Me and my bro still quote yall till this day! Best wishes and I support you guys 100%!!! Its time to die!!! LOL!

5:37 AM

 
Blogger Nyssa23 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home